This classic Minneapolis home was designed by architect Harry Wild Jones in 1924. The existing kitchen retained some original architecture, but had been modified several times over the past 100 years. The goal was to restore the architectural integrity of the kitchen while creating a layout that would be more functional and desirable for their modern day family. Unnecessary doorways were removed and a main entrance was enlarged and redesigned to improve the connection between rooms. An exterior door was moved to the adjacent sunroom to maximize kitchen cabinetry and workspace. Detailed custom millwork was designed based on original 1924 drawings, while new technologies were incorporated to modernize the kitchen. Custom cabinetry pays homage to the original cabinets while polished nickel hardware and lighting gives the kitchen elegance that the old “working” kitchen never achieved. An adjacent pass-through “butler’s” pantry received the same level of attention with additional storage carved out of unused spaces. Modern upgrades were added including a dog station for water and food bowls, a small lit bar niche, and a built-in steam oven. Completing the scope of the project is a redesigned powder room with cobalt blue mosaic floor tile and dramatic blue cherry blossom wallpaper.